The purpose of education is life

Interaction

For this week, my class was told to search our Interactive Learning Design subject into the ‘search’ box on a video service provider. Often searching on YouTube, I went to this webpage, and typed in ‘Maintaining Mental Health for University Students’. This was the video I found:

We were then told to answer the following questions:

1. What kind of interaction would the video require from your students? Does it force them to respond in some way (inherent)?
  2. In what way are they likely to respond to the video on their own, e.g. make notes, do an activity, think about the topic (learner-generated)?
  3. What activity could you suggest that they do, after they have watched the video (designed)? What type of knowledge or skill would that activity help develop? What medium or technology would students use to do the activity?
  4. How would students get feedback on the activity that you set? What medium or technology would they and/or you use for getting and giving feedback on their activity?

I believe the video does not require a response from students, as it is more information-based, but I also think that the video may get students thinking. As stated above, a way students would likely respond is by thinking about the topic (learner-generated).

I can also see myself giving students 20 mins after to reflect and write a journal entry that no one would read but themselves. For this activity, they may need to bring a private notebook to class or a laptop.

Finally, I can also see students becoming interactive by taking notes as something I may ask them to all do is a one-page paper on this topic due the next day that they could write at home and print (or write on paper if a computer is not accessible). When doing this, I would make sure to enforce to students that as much or as little information about personal life can be shared.

After handing in the one-page paper the next day, I would read through each paper and base the grade on completion, staying on topic, and grammar.

An interactive activity I could include in my class is students speaking with other fellow classmates about what they learned, if they are planning to attend post-secondary education, and what they think their biggest struggle will be.

1. katerose

I really like the topic that your group is exploring. Maintaining and supporting positive Mental health while in school can be very hard, but there are many organizations and individuals that eager to find new ways to support student’s. Your idea about personal journalling is great! This in itself is a way to support mental health while in school as students do not need to feel pressured to share their thoughts. I wonder, while note taking and journaling their ideas, is sketch noting something you would allow, if students find it difficult to quickly write their ideas in note form? – Kate

2. norman00

Hi Kiera,

Thanks for sharing your blog post 4. Your video is wonderful and the questions you asked are the right way to stimulate people’s thinking about how to learn best. You ask a good question in your blog, “In what way are they likely to respond to the video on their own?” After watching a meaningful video or reading a meaningful book, people write down what they think is meaningful in many different ways; some write it in a notebook, others type it on a computer. This process of learning ensures that no matter how they memorize, they will be able to review it after some time.