Modern politics today requires a mastery of visual image – Julie Smith

This week, our class was assigned to watch a video with Julie Smith discussing Media Literacy. The video first began with Julie introducing themselves and telling listeners that they teach in The School of Communications at Webster University. Additionally, they added that Mass Communications became their path of interest by accident.

After Julie explained their circumstance, they got into their passion for media literacy.

What is Media Literacy?

According to Julie Smith, media literacy is “constant critical questioning of the media we consume”, and according to the text by Trilling and Fadel (2009), media literacy is the delivering of messages (print, graphics, animation, audio, video, Web sites, and so on) to influence individuals.

Why is Media Literacy Important?

Julie Smith brings up a very good point in that the media changes every day, unlike mathematics, so the media is important to study and understand. We do not want to have fear over the internet like many parents do in the 21st century.

In the text by Trilling and Fadel (2009), they state that “media literacy skills provide a framework to access, analyze, evaluate and create messages in a variety of forms, build an understanding of the role of media in society, as well as [develop] the essential skills of inquiry and self-expression.”

Why is Media Literacy Dismissed?

I think media literacy can be dismissed by some people because the media intimidates them (i.e., they did not grow up with it), or because the media changes every day, and it can be hard to keep up with.

Why should you aim for varied views but the factual consensus in your PLN?

One thing I found interesting was when Julie Smith compared Twitter to a “Great Faculty Room.” They stated that the world of Twitter can have wonderful feedback for professional development, and unlike in a real faculty room, you can block people. They also shared that by having a large PLN with members you can rely on has enormous benefits for not only professional development but personal too.

Contribution to the Community

My colleague really beautifully lays out their blog, and is an easy read. I love that you provided Julie Smith’s social media, so I can go check them out!

Reference

Trilling, B., & Fadel, C. (2009). 21st Century Skills: Learning for Life in Our Times (1. Aufl.). Jossey-Bass.