What is Co-operative Learning?

Co-operative Learning is a group process in which students learn from one another, think together, and complete tasks together (Siegel, 2005).  In an article by Johnson & Johnson (1992) the authors clearly emphasize that in order for an individual to learn, a learning partner is required.

In one of my previous classes, my teacher had stated she was trying something new and termed it by the name of ‘Co-operative Learning’. In that class, she very rarely taught but instead got the students to teach. As I had mentioned in my previous blog post that one of the most memorable classes I had taken was an English course in my first year, that Social Studies class was not far behind; I feel that in that class I was able to focus more by listening to my fellow peers.

Advantage and Disadvantage

A major advantage to Co-operative Learning is that “cooperative learning techniques have been found to be more effective for promoting student learning” (Holter, 1994). I think this is particularly beneficial in courses where you need to memorize stories – sometimes someone says something a particular way and you just never forget it. What do you think?

One major disadvantage of co-operative learning is that when students are put in groups it can become about socialization and not learning. A good way to avoid this is by allocating different ‘roles’ to each student.

Relating Co-operative Learning to EDCI 335

Relating cooperative learning to this course, I think of the Interactive Learning Resource. Within our Interactive Learning Resource, we are working with others to create a learning design. On a side note, our blueprint so far has not taken cooperative learning into consideration. 

Additionally, in the material required for last week’s reading/videos, we heard a story of Susan and Robert. Throughout the introduction of these students, and a journey with them through various classes, we see them working together at the end bringing about high-level learning for each individual.

Watch this video referring to Cooperative Learning:

Speaking with Others in This Class:

One thing that a colleague brought up was a video demonstrating cooperative learning- ‘The Jigsaw Method’- I thought this was a brilliant idea to help avoid the major disadvantage addressed above.

Holter, N. C. (1994). Team assignments can be effective cooperative learning techniques. Journal of Education for Business, 70(2), 73. https://doi-org.ezproxy.library.uvic.ca/10.1080/08832323.1994.10117727

Johnson, D. W., & Johnson, R. T. (1992). Implementing cooperative learning. Contemporary Education63(3), 173.

Siegel, C. (2005). Implementing a Research-Based Model of Cooperative Learning. The Journal of Educational Research, 98(6), 339–349. https://doi-org.ezproxy.library.uvic.ca/10.3200/JOER.98.6.339-349

This post is on cooperative learning as well. I love how well the writer related their Interactive Learning Design to this type of learning/teaching style.