• What digital platforms are students currently using to develop their professional network?

For me, I currently use WordPress as my primary digital platform to develop a professional network but I also use Homebase, Discord, Microsoft teams, Slack, and Mattermost with my colleagues.

• What could the student consider in expanding their professional learning network?

I think it would be beneficial for students to create a professional account on Twitter and/or Instagram. I also know I personally need to become more familiar with linked in; linked in has been very beneficial for my colleagues, and I believe would be beneficial for me.

• How do data privacy and security limit and/or promote a PLN?

Data security limits our PLN because individuals may feel afraid to share something in fear that it will come back to haunt them in the future.

• In your network, how can you create a digital identity/ reputation?

To create a solid reputation online, specifically on WordPress, I think it’s important individuals post often and consistently.

• How did pivots to work-from-home during the COVID-19 pandemic change how we should consider our social media connectivity and professional balance?

During COVID-19 our online presence is all that we had. Because of this, I believe that we should change the frequency we spend online for our professional development.

My V&R Map

Response to my colleague’s blog:

I found the statistic posed in one of my colleague’s blogs interesting. They stated, “In the Canadian Internet Use Survey (Bilodeau et al., 2021) conducted between November 2020 and March 2021, 75% of Canadians 15 years of age and older stated they engaged in various internet-related activities more often since the onset of the pandemic – for both personal and professional reasons”. I reflected on myself and thought of the personal YouTube channel and blog I started during that time frame– but it was only until after my internet-related activities for professional use began (unless you consider doing University over Zoom professional….do you?)

This blog is beautiful!